PE & Sport
We use PE and Sport as a vehicle through which we promote healthy, active lifestyles and mental well-being.
At Littlegreen we have great outdoor spaces which enables us to positively promote our PE and Sport programme. We also have a small outdoor swimming pool that we can use for about 6 months of the year. We have very little indoor space and travel to other venues to access sports hall facilities.
PE and Sport is a very important part of our curriculum and all pupils have access to at least 2 hours of physical activity as part of the timetabled curriculum. We cover a wide range of activities to meet the needs and interests of all our pupils. In addition to traditional sports such as football and cricket, we also participate in activities such as country walking, cycling, climbing, orienteering, sailing – to name but a few.
In addition to promoting the skills, concepts and dispositions needed to be physically healthy, PE and Sport helps our pupils to:
- Learn more effectively, reducing stress and anxiety
- Develop their skills for independence and skills for life
- Develop social skills and the ability to interact positively with their peers and adults
- Develop leadership skills both through class and group activities as well as through sports leadership programmes
- Become a member of a team, to collaborate, negotiate and compromise
- Enjoy participating in physical activity